Attention Montclair Community

Effective immediately, and until rescinded, dine–in restaurants within the City of Montclair will be allowed to temporarily create or expand al fresco (outdoor) dining areas notwithstanding any preexisting limitations imposed under the Montclair Municipal Code. This City of Montclair Community Guidance is based on provisions of Dine–In Restaurants Guidance issued by the California Department of Public Health updated on Thursday, July 2, 2020 and Guidance on Closures of Sectors in Response to Covid–19 by Governor Newsom and the California Department of Public Health published on July 1, 2020.


In efforts to provide more testing opportunities for San Bernardino County residents, community testing events are being held throughout the county. At these testing events, samples are collected by inserting a swab up the nostril or into the mouth to the throat. These samples are then sent to a laboratory for COVID-19 testing. Events are free of charge and do not require health insurance.


On May 14, 2020, the County of San Bernardino launched the COVID-Compliant Business Partnership Program to support local small businesses and help ensure ongoing compliance with State and County health orders and direction.

For more information, visit:


building division Banner

Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Vista Del Cielo 007W

When do I need a permit?

Most building projects will require a permit of some kind.  This is necessary to ensure that all buildings meet minimum standards. 

Can I get an over-the-counter review of my plans?

All plans are reviewed by our Plan Check Staff who make every attempt to review your plans in a timely manner.  Over-the-counter plan checks are not available for first time or subsequent plan reviews.

How long does it take to obtain a building permit?

During normal building activity, after plans are submitted, it will take approximately two (2) weeks.  The plans will either be ready for issuance or require revisions. If revisions are necessary, subsequent plan review will be approximately one (1) week.

What is the cost of a building permit?

Our fees are published on our website. 

Who can pull a permit?

Section 7031.5, California Business and Professional Code, states that only properly licensed individuals or individuals specifically exempt (Section 7044) from the provisions of the Contractors State License Law shall be allowed to pull a permit for work regulated by our construction codes.

I. Those eligible to pull a Building Permit:

A. Any properly licensed State Contractor licensed under the provisions of Chapter 9, Division 3, Business and Professions Code, provided that he or she has:

1. A valid State Contractor's License; and

2. A current City Business License

B. Any Owner of a residential or commercial property on which the project is proposed provided that he or she signs and marks the declaration on the permit stating:

1. Owner doing own work or having employees with wages as sole compensation do the work and that the structure is not intended to be offered for sale.*

*Note: If owner decides to sell the property he or she must have resided on the premises for one year after completion of the project, prior to such sale. He/she can improve only two such buildings in any three-year period.


2. As owner of the property, he/she will contract with only licensed contractor to do the work involved.

II. Worker's Compensation Certificate Requirements

Prior to issuance of any permit, a valid certificate of Worker's Compensation Insurance must be filed with the City Building and Safety Division or a Certificate of consent of self-insure issued by the Director of Industrial Relations.

Exempted from Worker's Compensation Certificate:

1. Permits for work valued at $200 or less.

2. The applicant for a permit who signs a certificate that reads as follows:

“I certify that in the performance of the work for which this permit is issued I shall not employ any person in any manner so as to become subject to the Worker's Compensation laws of California.”

In the absence of the owner or the licensed contractor, a representative of either such owner or contractor may be eligible to pull a permit upon submittal of an authorization letter signed by the owner or the contractor to pull such permit provided that all other provisions stated herein are complied with in full.

Can I get permits by mail?

At the present time the Building Division is not equipped to issue permits by mail.

Does the City have copies of plans for my property?

The City has some plans on file. You may view them at the Building Division counter. If copies are needed see: Plan Reproduction

What are the permitted hours of construction?

7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. daily.