General Fire Department Plan Check and Permit Issuance Information
Plans are required for all new buildings and for changes to existing buildings. Plans are reviewed to ensure that all projects are in compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, and standards and to prevent unnecessary hazards.
Plans may be submitted to the Montclair Fire Prevention Bureau, Monday through Thursday, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m., at 5111 Benito St., Montclair, CA 91763. Plans will not be reviewed over the counter. The duration of our plan check process is approximately two weeks. Please allow for our plan check process within your project's timeline as we do not "expedite" plans.
When submitting plans, please provide the following items:
- Montclair Fire Department's Plan Check Application (click here to view the application)
- Three sets of plans and cut sheets
- Proof of state contractor's license (contractor, architect, or engineer)
- Proof of Montclair business license (contractor only)
Submit the following types of plans directly to the Fire Department (submit all other plans to the Building Division, and they will be automatically routed to our department):
- Underground fire mains
- Fire sprinklers
- Fire alarms
- Engineered fire systems
- High pile storage
- Hazardous materials
Other permits required by the California Fire Code that may be obtained at our office include the following:
- Tents (special events, Christmas tree lots, vehicle lots, etc.)
- Tank removal (aboveground and underground)
- Model rocket launches
- Fireworks/pyrotechnic displays
To schedule an inspection with a fire inspector, please call (909) 447-3540.
For additional permit requirements or to determine what information is necessary to comply with the permit process and any associated fees, please contact the Montclair Fire Department's Fire Prevention Bureau at (909) 447-3540.
The Montclair Fire Department has adopted and amended the 2016 California Fire Code.