Attention Montclair Community

Effective immediately, and until rescinded, dine–in restaurants within the City of Montclair will be allowed to temporarily create or expand al fresco (outdoor) dining areas notwithstanding any preexisting limitations imposed under the Montclair Municipal Code. This City of Montclair Community Guidance is based on provisions of Dine–In Restaurants Guidance issued by the California Department of Public Health updated on Thursday, July 2, 2020 and Guidance on Closures of Sectors in Response to Covid–19 by Governor Newsom and the California Department of Public Health published on July 1, 2020.


In efforts to provide more testing opportunities for San Bernardino County residents, community testing events are being held throughout the county. At these testing events, samples are collected by inserting a swab up the nostril or into the mouth to the throat. These samples are then sent to a laboratory for COVID-19 testing. Events are free of charge and do not require health insurance.


On May 14, 2020, the County of San Bernardino launched the COVID-Compliant Business Partnership Program to support local small businesses and help ensure ongoing compliance with State and County health orders and direction.

For more information, visit:


planning division Banner

Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Qs)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

This “Frequently Asked Questions” section is tailored specifically for visitors to the Planning Division page of the City’s website. The questions are categorized into the following topics:

  • General
  • New and Existing Businesses
  • Construction
  • Yard/Garage Sales
  • Neighborhood Preservation
  • Schools
  • Animals
  • Streets and Roads
  • Transportation
  • Unincorporated County Areas (Sphere of Influence)

You may link directly to various pages and forms contained on the City's website or to websites of outside agencies and organizations by clicking on links found on this page, which appear in color and are underlined. If you have any suggestions for additional questions that should be addressed on this page or how we can make this page more user-friendly, please send your comments to Community Development at



What are the Planning Division’s hours?

Montclair City Hall is open Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The Planning Division counter is located in the main lobby of City Hall and is open from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. While Planning staff generally utilizes the balance of each workday to do field work, prepare reports and do research, appointments are available if you are unable to visit during the designated counter hours. Please call (909) 625-9477 to arrange for a convenient time to meet with a staff member.

When does the City’s Planning Commission meet?

The Planning Commission meets on the second and fourth Mondays of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers, 5111 Benito Street. (The second meeting in December is typically canceled because of the holidays.) Additional information about the Planning Commission, including agendas and minutes for the past six months, may be viewed by clicking on the "Planning Commission" link contained within the Navigation Menu at the top left corner of this page. The public is invited to attend Commission meetings and participate in the process.

Can I view the Montclair Municipal Code and the Zoning Code online?

Yes. The Municipal Code may be viewed by clicking on the link in the Navigation Menu on the left side of this page. Zoning information is contained in Title 11 of the Municipal Code.

Do I need a permit to film in Montclair?

Yes. Permit cost is $100 per day and may be obtained at the Business License counter in the main lobby of City Hall during regular business hours.


New and Existing Businesses

I am interested in opening a business in Montclair. What types of permits do I need before I open?

The permits required depend upon the type of business proposed. Most applications for new businesses can be processed administratively by staff. This involves completing specific forms describing the type of business activity and location, obtaining approval by Planning Division staff, and obtaining a business license. However, some businesses require more extensive review and additional entitlements, such as a Conditional Use Permit (CUP), prior to opening. Business activities that are subject to the more intensive review include stores or restaurants that sell alcoholic beverages, massage establishments, adult-oriented businesses, vehicle or watercraft dealers with outdoor display areas, video arcades and Internet access establishments (commonly known as cyber cafés). To determine the process for establishing your business in Montclair, please contact the Planning Division at (909) 625-9477.

Do I need a license to operate a business out of my home?

Residents operating home businesses are required to obtain a Home Occupation Permit. Forms are available from the Business License counter in the main lobby of City Hall during regular business hours. Home-based businesses are typically limited to office uses that do not involve customers visiting the property. For more specific information about permissible home-based businesses, please contact the Planning Division at (909) 625-9477.

How can I find out if a certain type of business is permitted at a specific location in Montclair?

It is highly recommended that you contact the Planning Division at (909) 625-9477 before making any commitment, financial or otherwise, to open a business in Montclair for the purpose of determining if your business is permitted at the location you have identified.

Can I get a sign approved for my business?

All legally established businesses within the City of Montclair (except in residential areas) are entitled to at least one business identification sign. Permits are required from the Planning and Building Divisions. Signs must be designed to comply with the City's Sign Ordinance and with current City policies. It is recommended that business owners hire a licensed sign contractor to design and erect signs. All signs are subject to review and approval by the Planning Division prior to construction and installation.

Do I need a permit for my business sign?

Yes. Permits may be obtained from the Planning and Building Divisions during regular counter hours, Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Only a licensed sign contractor or the property owner may obtain sign permits.

Who do I contact to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages at my place of business?

The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) issues licenses for on-premises and off-premises sale of alcoholic beverages in the State of California.


Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control

3737 Main Street, Suite 900

Riverside, CA 92501

(951) 782-4400


Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control Homepage

However, prior to any business in the City of Montclair engaging in the sale of alcoholic beverages, a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) shall be reviewed and approved by the Planning Commission. You may download and print the CUP application. Information on additional submittal requirements is available from the Planning Division.



I want to build a new house or remodel my existing house. What departments should I contact regarding my project?

Contact the Planning and Building Divisions in the main lobby of City Hall or by calling (909) 625-9477.

I want to build a fence in my yard. Do I need to obtain a building permit first?

Yes, building permits are required for all fences and walls regardless of height. The Zoning Code governs the height of fences and walls, depending upon their location on the property. For more information, contact the Planning and Building Divisions at (909) 625-9477.

Do I need a building permit for a swimming pool or spa?

Yes, a building permit is required for in-ground and above-ground projects. Contact the Building Division at (909) 625-9477 for details.


Yard/Garage Sales

Do I need a permit for a yard/garage sale on my property?

Yes. Yard sale permits are available for purchase at the Community Development counter at Montclair City Hall, 5111 Benito Street, Monday through Thursday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. the week immediately preceding each designated Yard Sale weekend. The cost is $10.00.

Can I put up a sign advertising my yard/garage sale?

When a permit is obtained, the resident is provided with two “official” yard sale signs. Up to and additional two signs may be purchased at a cost of $1 each. Signs placed on public property or other private property advertising the sale will be removed by Code Enforcement staff.

Can I attach signs to utility or traffic sign/signal poles?

No, attaching signs in such a manner is strictly prohibited by Section 11.72.120 of the Montclair Municipal Code.


Neighborhood Preservation

Are residents permitted to park an RV or motor home in their front yard?

Yes, provided that the vehicle is parked on a paved surface and does not encroach across a public sidewalk or into the public street.

My neighbor is parking vehicles on the lawn. Who should I call?

Parking on unpaved surfaces in the front yard of residential properties is not permitted. Contact the Code Enforcement Division at (909) 447-3557.

There is a property in my neighborhood that is not maintained and I’m worried that it will affect property values. Can anything be done?

Contact the Code Enforcement Division at (909) 447-3557.

I think my neighbor is building an illegal addition on their house. Who do I contact?

Contact either the Building Division or Code Enforcement Division at (909) 625-9477.



I am considering moving to Montclair. How can I find out what schools my children will attend?

Montclair is served by two school districts. The Ontario-Montclair School District (OMSD) serves students in grades K-8, and the Chaffey Joint Union High School District (CJUHSD) provides education for high school students. OMSD operates ten elementary schools and three middle schools serving Montclair students. All high school students residing in Montclair attend Montclair High School. The links below illustrate the elementary and middle school attendance boundaries within the City of Montclair. Simply click on the link you would like to view.

Elementary School Boundary Map

Middle School Boundary Map

For further information, contact the respective school districts as indicated below:

Ontario-Montclair School District

950 West D Street

Ontario, CA 91762

(909) 459-2505

Chaffey Joint Union High School District

211 West Fifth Street

Ontario, CA 91762

(909) 988-8511



Is there an animal shelter that serves Montclair?

Yes, the City contracts with the Inland Valley Humane Society (IVHS) to provide animal control and licensing services to Montclair residents. Dogs are required to be licensed, but not cats. IVHS is a full-service facility, offering education, pet adoption, and care for sick or injured animals.

Inland Valley Humane Society and SPCA

500 Humane Way (corner of Mission Boulevard)

Pomona, CA 91766

(909) 623-9777

(909) 594-9858 (24-hour emergency line)

Are there regulations governing the maximum number and type of pets allowed?

Yes, information on the number of domestic pets allowed on residential properties is contained in Section 11.18.030.C of the Montclair Municipal Code. You may view the code section by clicking on the following link and navigating to Title 11 of the Municipal Code: 11.18.030 MMC

Further, there are additional regulations governing the keeping of large animals on the equestrian residential lots located generally south of Mission Boulevard. For information on these regulations, contact the Planning Division at (909) 625-9477.


Streets and Roads

A tree in my front yard needs trimming, but I don’t know if trimming the tree is my responsibility or the City’s. Is there a way to find out?

Contact the City of Montclair Corporate Yard at (909) 625-9480. If necessary, an inspector will schedule a visit to your property to make the determination. 

How do I get an abandoned grocery cart removed?

Contact California Shopping Cart Retrieval Corporation at (800) 252-4613.

Can I get a newspaper rack removed from in front of my property?

The placement of newspaper racks within the public right-of-way is generally protected under the First Amendment. However, if a newspaper rack is obstructing a public sidewalk or is impacting sight distance visibility for pedestrians or motorists, the City can require it to be relocated.



Are bus and rail service conveniently available to Montclair residents?

The City is served by buses operated by Omnitrans, which generally covers the valley area of San Bernardino County between Montclair and Yucaipa, and Foothill Transit, which provides bus service to the geographical area between Downtown Los Angeles and the Montclair Transcenter. Metrolink provides rail service on its San Bernardino line seven days a week, serving local residents from the Montclair Transcenter, located on Richton Street between Monte Vista and Central Avenues. For schedules, click on the desired links below:


Foothill Transit


Metro Gold Line Foothill Extension

The proposed Foothill Extension of the Metro Gold Line will extend the light rail line easterly from its current terminus in Pasadena through the cities of Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, Irwindale, Azusa, Glendora, San Dimas, La Verne, Pomona, Claremont and Montclair. A trip from the Montclair Transcenter to downtown Pasadena would take a little over 40 minutes and to Los Angeles, approximately 75 minutes. Light rail will assist with the planning goals of redistributing growth and strengthening established downtowns in the foothill communities. It will offer shorter commuting trips, increased energy savings (estimated 1.5 million gallons of gasoline each year) and reduced levels of pollution (estimated 4 tons of carbon monoxide). Phase 2A (from Pasadena to Azusa) is currently under construction; Phase 2B (from Azusa to Montclair) is expected to be open in 2016.

Unincorporated County Areas (Sphere of Influence)

I own property within the unincorporated area of San Bernardino County adjacent to Montclair. What is the Planning agency that serves my area and how do I contact them?

Planning issues within the City’s sphere of influence are handled by the San Bernardino County Land Use Services Department, located in the County Government Building at 385 N. Arrowhead Avenue, San Bernardino. Land Use Services may be contacted at (909) 387-8311.

My property in the County area is currently served by a private sewer (septic) system. Can I connect to the City sewer system?

City sewer mains are located in a limited number of streets within the unincorporated County area. Property owners on those streets desiring to connect to sewer are required to execute an agreement and pay certain fees. For information about the process and whether a