Establishing & Conducting Business in Montclair

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Doing Business in Montclair

The Montclair Municipal Code requires all businesses operating in the City of Montclair to pay a business license tax. This tax is imposed to raise revenue and is not for the purpose of regulation.  The business license certificate is evidence only that such tax has been paid. Obtaining a new business license requires you to submit both a Business License Application and an Application for Zoning and Use Review.  Applications may be obtained by clicking the links or at Montclair City Hall, Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

The City Zoning Ordinance includes regulations concerning where and under what conditions a business may operate in the City of Montclair.  In some cases a conditional use permit or zoning variance is required.  To determine if the business activity you are planning can be carried on at the location you have selected, you should contact the Planning and Community Development Department at (909) 625-9477.

Business Licenses are not transferable and are valid for one year from the date of issue.

Additional business resources can be found in the Economic Development Department section of the website.

Storm Water Requirements

Certain industrial/commercial businesses within the City of Montclair with specific Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Code listings are required by the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board to file a Notice of Intent (NOI) with the State of California.

All businesses identified by these SIC Codes are required to apply for and obtain coverage under the State Water Resource Control Board's General Industrial Activities Storm Water Permit and possess a valid Waste Discharge Identification (WDID) number.

The issued SIC Code that your facility may be required to possess requires an application for a WDID number within thirty (30) days.  Compliance shall be accomplished by completing and submitting the NOI checklist and form, site map, and an annual fee of $1,632 payable to the State Water Resources Control Board, P.O. Box 1977, Sacramento, CA 95812-1977.

If your business can guarantee that there will be NO outside exposure of raw materials, finished products, waste products, equipment, or discharges of non-storm water to the outside of the building or any manufacturing or business activity that could contaminate storm water runoff, then this facility may be exempt from NOI coverage.

If you feel that your business meets the requirements of exemption, complete a Non-Applicability Form, NOI checklist, and provide a Detailed Facility Site Map and mail to Mohammed Bashir with the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality control Board, 3737 Main Street, Suite 500, Riverside, CA 92501-3348 within thirty (30) days.  Please forward a copy of the completed form(s) to NPDES Coordinator Joe Rosales, City of Montclair Public Works Department, 5111 Benito Street, Montclair, CA 91763.

Your SIC code will be established before your business license is printed and mailed.  If you require further clarification regarding your SIC Code, please call Montclair's Business Licensing Department at (909) 625-9423.

As a requirement of the Sate of California National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit, the City of Montclair will be conducting annual inspections of your facility.  Any violation of the Storm Water Ordinance and/or Storm Water Permit may result in monetary fines and/or criminal punishment.  Results of all inspections are forwarded to the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board.

If you have any questions regarding this matter contact Joe Rosales, NPDES Coordinator at (909) 625-9470 or Mohammed Bashir at the Regional Water Quality Control Board at (951) 320-6396.