What is an Emergency Operations Center (EOC)?
An EOC is a location from which centralized emergency management may be performed during a major emergency or disaster. This location facilitates a coordinated response by City personnel and representatives from other agencies and organizations that are assigned emergency management responsibilities.
How is the EOC organized?
City personnel and representatives from other agencies or organizations that are assigned to work at the EOC operate within the Standard Emergency Management System (SEMS) and the National Incident Management System (NIMS). These systems organize EOC staff into five functions or sections, which are Management, Operations, Finance/Administration, Planning/Intelligence, and Logistics.
Responsible for overall emergency policy and coordination.
Manages the tactical operations (Fire, Police, Public Works, Care and Shelter, Medical and Health, Building and Safety) of various response elements involved in the emergency or disaster.
Maintains financial systems, supervises the negotiation and administration of vendor and supply contracts, and tracks essential data necessary for cost recovery efforts.
Collects, evaluates, displays, and disseminates emergency/disaster information and status of resources.
Provides all necessary personnel, supplies, communications, and equipment procurement support.
When can the EOC be activated?
The EOC may be activated when:
• A significant earthquake causing damage within the City or neighboring jurisdiction occurs
• An uncontrolled release or failure of a dam that will affect the City occurs
• An impending or declared "State of War Emergency" exists
• An emergency situation that has occurred or might occur with such a magnitude that it will require a large commitment of resources from two or more City departments over an extended period of time
Four levels of activation:
• Event/Incident Monitoring
• Level 1 (low) – Minimum staffing
• Level 2 (medium) – Some EOC responders
• Level 3 (full or high) – Staff most if not all positions
The City of Montclair Emergency Operations Center is located at:
Montclair Police Department
4870 Arrow Highway
Montclair, CA 91763