Food Service Industry
Mobile Vehicle or Surface Cleaning Service
Commercial Landscape Maintenance
Other Commercial Businesses
FOOD SERVICE INDUSTRY
For example: Full service restaurant, fast-food restaurant, bakery, bar, and other commercial food services.
- Clean floor mats, filters, and garbage cans in a mop sink or floor drain that is connected to the sewer lines, not the parking lot, alley, sidewalk, gutter line, or street.
- Pour wash water into a janitorial or mop sink, not into the parking lot, alley, sidewalk, gutter line, or street.
- Clean the outside area with dry methods such as mopping, sweeping, vacuuming, etc. or with an approved water recovery system when pressure washing.
- Keep dumpster lids closed and the areas around them clean by dry methods.
Store used cooking oil inside the building, or inside a spill containment area with roof cover if permitted.
Keep the dumpster lids closed and the surrounding area clean.
Clean outdoor areas with dry cleaning methods and/or with a water recovery system.
- DO NOT power wash or hose outside areas without a water recovery system.
- DO NOT pour mop water into the parking lot, alley, sidewalk, gutter line, or street.
- DO NOT fill the dumpsters with liquid waste. Replace any dumpsters that leak.
- DO NOT store the container of used cooking oil outside without spill containment and a storm-resistant cover.
CLICK HERE to learn more Best Management Practices (BMPs) that help keep Montclair clean!
For example: Auto dealership, auto repair shop, auto body shop, and other auto related services.
- Store all new/used motor oil, anti-freeze, grease, and other toxic fluids/materials inside secondary spill containment areas and under cover, or inside the building away from the gate and floor drains.
- Store used tires, mufflers, scrap metals, and other hazardous materials off the ground and protected from rainwater.
- Use drip pans to catch leaks from stored vehicles. Use dry methods, by sweeping and using absorbent material to clean oil spots on the ground.
- Recycle toxic waste and fluid through hazardous waste disposal companies. Keep the hauling records on site.
Store all your toxic liquids and materials inside a spill containment area and under a roof structure.
Store used tires off the ground and under cover to prevent release of pollutants during rain events.
Catch oil leaks with a drip pan.
- DO NOT let water from wet sanding leak onto outside paved areas.
- DO NOT wash vehicles without an approved water recovery system, nor hire an unlicensed mobile wash contractor who does not have provisions to contain the wash water.
- DO NOT wash parts or equipment in the alley, parking lot, driveway or street.
- DO NOT power wash or hose down working areas.
CLICK HERE to learn tips and stormwater requirements for mobile businesses.
MOBILE VEHICLE OR SURFACE CLEANING SERVICE
If you are a Mobile Vehicle or Surface Cleaning Contractor, you must meet the Stormwater Requirement for business license approval. You are also required to fill out the Certification Statement and submit it with your business license application.
For other Mobile Surface Cleaning Services, find the Best Management Practices below that suit your business activities.
COMMERCIAL LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE
- Control the amount of water and direction of sprinklers to avoid waste and runoff.
- Periodically inspect and fix misdirected sprinklers and leaks.
- Prevent erosion and sediment runoff off by using ground cover, berms, and vegetation down-slope to capture runoff.
- Reduce the use of fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- DO NOT blow, sweep, or hose vegetative waste into the street or catch basin.
- DO NOT apply chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides near curbs and driveway, and never before a rain event.
- DO NOT throw pesticides or fertilizers in the trash. Dispose of hazardous materials through a licensed hazardous waste hauler.
Click on the links below for more information.
OTHER COMMERCIAL BUSINESSES
- Keep the outside areas free of trash and debris by sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, or using other dry methods.
- Keep dumpster lids closed prior to and during rain events.
- Sweep or mop dumpster enclosure area regularly to keep it free of litter and liquid waste.
- Install a tray under a portable toilet, if it is on site.
- DO NOT discharge washwater of any kind to the street, alley, gutter line, parking lot, or sidewalk.
- DO NOT hire an unlicensed mobile wash contractor who does not have provisions to contain the wash water.
Click links below to download more information.
Please visit San Bernardino County Stormwater Program to learn more stormwater pollution prevention tips for your business.
To report an illegal discharge, please call us immediately at (909) 625-9470 or email if you have any questions.
Thank you for keeping our water clean!