About Montclair High School
Located in the city of Montclair, Montclair High School is one of six comprehensive high schools in the Chaffey Joint Union High School District. More than 3,300 students are enrolled in grades 9-12.
Montclair High School's vision for its students centers on the concept of lifelong learning. Through a comprehensive and challenging curriculum, all students are provided opportunities to learn the essential academic and social skills necessary for success in our diverse and rapidly changing society.
Built in 1959, the Montclair campus has served nearly three generations of the community. Unique features include Ben Baker Stadium, two gymnasiums, an auditorium, and the Electronic Media Center.
Montclair High School is one of eight comprehensive high schools in the Chaffey Joint Union High School District, serving students from Montclair and Ontario within its attendance boundaries. The school district began with Chaffey High School in 1911. The second school in the district was Upland, which opened in 1955 and left the district in 1987 as a result of a unification election. Montclair became the third campus when it opened in September 1959. Alta Loma High School High School opened in 1963, Ontario High School in 1967, Etiwanda High School in 1983, and Rancho Cucamonga High School opened in 1991. Los Osos High School and Colony High School opened in 2002.
In addition, there are the alternative programs at Valley View High School and Canyon View High School. Since the closing of Dominga High School, which served the needs of special education, some of the classes have become part of the Montclair High School special education program. There are approximately 22,000 students in the Chaffey Joint Union High School District.
Mr. Carlyle Lovewell was named principal-elect for Montclair High School in 1957. His innovative and creative ideas have served as a standard for the school through the years. Mr. Lyle Fry succeeded Mr. Lovewell in 1961, continuing as principal until 1966 when Mr. Robert Erickson, at that time the assistant principal, was named principal. Upon Mr. Erickson's appointment, as Assistant Superintendent in the district in 1973, Mr. Dean Smothers was elected as the fourth principal of the school. In 1977, Mr. Steve Butters was appointed principal, serving until July 1981. He was followed by Bette Harrison, who served as the sixth principal at Montclair High School. Dr. Horace Jackson came to Montclair in July 1985. Mrs. Anne Henke became the principal in July of 1988. Mr. Bill Bertrand served as principal from 1990 to 1997. Mrs. Judy Post served as principal from 1997 to 2005. Mr. Michael Hook became the eleventh Principal of Montclair High School July of 2005.
The first classes in the high school chose the "Cavalier" as the mascot, and the original school colors were turquoise and black. The turquoise has been changed through the years to Columbia blue, which proved to be a more usable color.
The two main classroom buildings and the industrial education facility were originally designated in the architect's blueprints as building E, F and G. In the search for building names, which would lend more distinction and tradition to the campus, the initial Montclair faculty used the heraldry theme suggested by the mascot and the school colors. The Cavalier invoked the days of chivalry when family crests grew out of the practice of decoration shields with individualized markings or "charges" in the shape of small shields a custom still used today.
One of the most distinctive charges is the Chevron "v" often painted in azure blue similar to Montclair's original turquoise. The word chevron, furthermore, begins with C, H and E which were the initial letters of Core (a special program of studies developed for the new school, English and Homemaking, the three departments assigned to the building. Today, we teach English, Foreign Languages and Consumer Economics in Chevron Hall.
Sable, a French word, is another unique charge in heraldry used to describe a jet black surface. This name not only carries the second school color but, contains the letters S and B, indicative of the Science and Business departments which were assigned to building F. The Sable Hall is mainly used for the Science and Mathematics departments. A new building was dedicated and opened in Sept. 2004 and is mainly used for the AVID program
The vocational education building, where students learn the rudiments of various trades and skills, found its name in the medieval guilds of the early tradesmen's association which became the ancestors of the modern trade unions.
The School is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accrediting Commission. The curriculum includes a wide range of course offerings in an effort to prepare our graduates for employment or for continuing education through the university level of studies and the world of work.