How do I get a marriage license or certificate?

Marriage Licenses and Certificates

Marriage licenses and records are generally obtained from and maintained by the County Clerk’s Office for the County in which the marriage license was purchased.  It is always best to contact the County’s office directly.  The below information is provided as a courtesy and does not include all of the potential locations for obtaining records of a marriage.  If you are seeking records outside of San Bernardino and Los Angeles counties, start with searching for your county’s website for the County Clerk’s vital records page.  If you are not sure, use the information under the “Statewide” heading below.

Notice: There may be fees involved with these processes. As these processes may change periodically and do not involve the City of Montclair, the best source of information is the County office where you would obtain the records/services. Please contact their offices directly or check their websites to learn more about their processes and fees.

San Bernardino County

The San Bernardino County Recorder-Clerk’s Office issues marriage licenses and performs marriage ceremonies within San Bernardino County. Visit the website or call (909) 387-8306 for information and appointments.

Please visit the San Bernardino County Recorder-Clerk’s Vital Records Office for copies of records for marriages that occurred in San Bernardino County, visit their website, or call (855) 732-2575 for more information or to initiate a request.

Los Angeles County

For marriage licenses, wedding ceremonies, and records of marriages in Los Angeles County, contact the LA County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s Office at (800) 201-8999. Marriage licenses and ceremonies can be obtained from the Clerk’s Office, and marriage records can be obtained from the Recorder’s office.  Visit their website for more information.


The California Department of Public Health can provide certified copies of marriage certificates for public marriages that occurred statewide in certain years. They do not maintain records of confidential marriages. Visit their website or call (916) 558-1784 for more information.

Close window