Building permits are issued during the hours of 7:00 to 9:00 a.m. or 4:00 to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and other times by special appointment
In order for a permit to be issued to a licensed contractor, the following must be presented:
- Valid contractor’s license, pocket copy (not wall copy);
- Proof of Workman’s Compensation Insurance carrier and policy number;
- If licensed contractor cannot appear in person, an authorized agent may obtain a permit provided all the following is presented:
- Copy of the contractor’s license (pocket copy);
- Letter of Authorization on company letterhead, signed by license holder (signature on letter and license must match);
- Proof of Workman’s Compensation Insurance carrier and policy number.
Property owners may obtain an “owner-builder” permit provided they meet the following:
- They are the owners, doing the work themselves;
- They sign an “exemption from worker’s compensation insurance” form (stating the homeowner is doing the work; however, if they become subject to insurance requirements, they will comply with such provisions).
Plans submitted for plan check are required to include the following:
- Room additions require three sets of detailed plans including a plot plan, floor
plan, elevations, framing, electrical, mechanical, plumbing details, and energy compliance forms.
- Tenant improvements require three sets of the above-required plans.
- New structures (by appointment only) require five complete sets of above-required plans, with the addition of two sets of soils reports and structural calculations.
- Plan check deposit is required on all submittals.
- Two sets of grading plans and one copy of soils report must be submitted to the Public Works / Engineering Division along with the required plan check fee.
- Fire sprinkler plans must be submitted to the Fire Department.
For special appointments or further information please contact the Building Division at (909) 625-9437.