The I-10 Project Alternatives
Three alternatives were studied by SBCTA as part of the I-10 Corridor Project.
This alternative looked at what might happen if nothing is changed—no additional travel lanes or ramp improvements would be constructed.
The addition of one HOV/Carpool Only Lane in each direction of I-10 between Haven Avenue in Ontario and Ford Street in Redlands (25 miles). The number of General Purpose Lanes would not be changed.
The addition of two Express Lanes in each direction between the Los Angeles-San Bernardino County line and Ford Street in Redlands (33 miles). The number of General Purpose Lanes would not be changed.
Following is a timeline of the SBCTA selection process for Alternative Three—the Express Lane Project.
- August 2011 — SBCTA started the study of Express Lanes.
- January 2012 — SBCTA began final technical studies and extensive public outreach.
- October 2012 — SBCTA conducted public scoping meetings.
- July 2014 — SBCTA Board selected Express Lanes as the locally preferred alternative.
- November 2015 — SBCTA Board reconfirmed the selection of Express lanes as the locally preferred alternative.
- July 2017 — SBCTA Board approves environmental document and construction of the first phase of the I-10 Express Lanes. The Final Environmental Document can be viewed here.
- June 2018 — SBCTA Board awards contracts for Phase 1 construction and Express Lane operation from Montclair to the I-15 Interchange.
Click here for a short SBCTA video on the Express Lane Project.
Construction on the I-10 Express Lane Project will start in 2018-19, with the first phase from Montclair to the I-15 interchange in Ontario scheduled for completion by 2022, and the second phase from the I-15 interchange to Ford Street in Redlands scheduled for completion by 2024.
San Bernardino County Transportation Authority (SBCTA)
Approximately $1.8 billion
To sign-up for information
To receive information on the I-10 Express Lane Project, or other SBCTA projects, directly to your email address, complete this online form.