The planning that you do today will determine how quickly your business recovers after man-made and natural disasters. If businesses are ready to survive and recover, our City and economy are more secure. Listed below are some actions that your company can take to be better prepared for disasters:
- Identify potential hazards at your workplace and take action to mitigate them
- Encourage employees to be personally prepared
- Create an emergency plan
- Build emergency supply kits
- Identify your building’s weaknesses and begin fixing them
- Practice how to protect yourself during an earthquake; conduct a "Drop, Cover, and Hold On" drill with your employees
- Be fire safe! Make sure your business has working smoke alarms and fire extinguishers. Practice how people will evacuate the building if there is a fire.
- Learn how to check for injuries and damages after a disaster
For comprehensive guides that will provide business owners with steps they can take to prepare their companies for disasters, please visit the following websites:
- Ready Business
- Putting Down Roots in Earthquake Country’s "7 Steps to a Earthquake Resilient Business"