Establishing & Conducting Business in Montclair

The Montclair Municipal Code requires all businesses operating in the City of Montclair to pay a business license tax. This tax is imposed to raise revenue and is not for the purpose of regulation.  The business license certificate is evidence only that such tax has been paid. Obtaining a new business license requires you to submit both a Business License Application and an Application for Zoning and Use Review.  Applications may be obtained by clicking the links or at Montclair City Hall, Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

The City Zoning Ordinance includes regulations concerning where and under what conditions a business may operate in the City of Montclair.  In some cases a conditional use permit or zoning variance is required.  To determine if the business activity you are planning can be carried on at the location you have selected, you should contact the Planning and Community Development Department at (909) 625-9477.

Business Licenses are not transferable and are valid for one year from the date of issue.

Storm Water Requirements

Certain commercial and industrial businesses within the City of Montclair with specific Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Codes are required by the California State Water Resources Control Board to apply for and obtain the current General Permit for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities (IGP) prior to receiving a City Business License.

Your SIC Code is based on your business activities.  Go to the United States Department of Labor website ( to identify the SIC Code for your business.  Once you have identified your SIC Code, review “Attachment A” of the IGP to locate your SIC Code.  You can view “Attachment A” here:

If your SIC Code is on “Attachment A” and you can guarantee that there will be NO outside exposure of raw materials, finished products, waste products, equipment, or discharges of non-storm water to the outside of the building or any manufacturing or business activity that could contaminate storm water runoff, then this facility may be exempt from full IGP coverage.

If you feel that your business meets the requirements of exemption, then you must follow “Appendix 2,” of the IGP “Instructions for No Exposure Certification (NEC).” You can find the instructions here:

To assist with filing for the NEC the State Water Board provided a guide for businesses that can be found here:

If your business will have outside exposure of raw materials, waste products, equipment, and/or if business activities in part or whole are conducted outdoors, you are subject to the full IGP. You must apply and obtain the IGP prior to receiving a City Business License.  To apply for the IGP you must complete the application online at the States “Stormwater Multiple Application and Report Tracking System” (SMARTS). You can find SMARTS here:

Any questions regarding the States SMARTS application please contact the Santa Ana Regional Control Board. Contact information provided below.

As a requirement of the State of California National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit, the City of Montclair will conduct annual inspections of your facility.  Any violation of Montclair’s Storm Water Ordinance and/or Storm Water Permit may result in monetary fines and/or criminal punishment.  Results of all inspections are forwarded to the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, contact Samantha Contreras, NPDES/Environmental Compliance Inspector at (909) 625-9447.

For assistance filing for the IGP or the NEC, contact the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board.  You may call the main office at (951) 782-4130 or one of the contacts listed below;

Nam Nguyen
Environmental Scientist, Inland Storm Water Unit
Direct Phone:  (951) 321-4582

Keith Elliott
Water Resources Engineer, Inland Storm Water Unit
Direct Phone: (951) 782-4925

Close window