Inspection Hotline & Inspection Procedures
To scheduling an inspection, call (909) 625-9448
Things to keep in mind when scheduling an inspection:
- Inspections will be for next day only if scheduled prior to 5:00 p.m. the day before.
- The City is closed every Friday.
- If an inspection request is called in on Thursday, the inspection will be scheduled for Monday
- An adult must be present for an interior inspection
- Secure dogs
When calling for inspection
- The job must be ready and complete for that inspection.
- The approved set of plans must be on the job site and the inspection card posted at all times.
- If you have animals, they must be placed in the garage or in the house for all backyard inspections.
- It is helpful if the contractor and/or the owner is present on site at the time of inspection. If you will not be home, please note this on your inspection request. Inspectors may not conduct the inspection if a responsible adult is not present.
- Specific requests for morning or afternoon inspections will be accommodated only if the inspector’s schedule allows it.
- Follow the approved plans and the building codes. If there is any deviation from the plans, the design engineer/architect must submit the change to the Building Division for approval prior to calling for inspection.
- Concrete form must be clean, properly braced and must have the correct setbacks from property lines.
- Rebar must be of specified grades and have an approved manufacturer certificate attached.
- All anchor bolts, hold-downs, straps, etc., must be in place and properly secured to the forms prior to foundation inspection.
- Concrete mix, placement and quality of workmanship must follow plans and code requirement.
- Must be provided when required by Code or the approved plans.
- All Deputy Inspectors must be certified and approved in advance by the City of Montclair Building and Safety Division.
- Welding on site must be preformed by a certified welder and a Deputy Inspector must be present during welding.
- Follow the approved plans.
- All framing members and their hardware must be complete and in place prior to inspection.
- Floor and roof sheathing nailing must be inspected before covering.
- Window and door frames must be in place with flashing.All rough electrical, plumbing, and mechanical inspected and approved prior to calling for framing inspections.
- No work shall commence prior to 7:00 a.m. or occur past 8:00 p.m.
- Portable toilets must be located on the construction site and not within the public right-of-way.