Industrial Facilities

1. What is the Industrial General Permit (IGP)?

The Industrial Storm Water General Permit Order 97-03-DWQ (Industrial General Permit) is a National Pollution Elimination Discharge (NPDES) permit that regulates discharges associated with 10 broad categories of industrial activities.  The Industrial General Permit requires the implementation of management measures that will achieve the performance standard of best available technology economically achievable (BAT) and best conventional pollutant control technology (BCT).  The General Industrial Permit also requires the development of a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) and a monitoring plan.  The SWPPP identifies sources of pollutants and describes the means to manage the sources to reduce storm water pollution.

2. Do I need this permit?

The federal and state storm water regulations require a broad range of industrial facilities to be permitted.  They include manufacturing facilities, mining operations, disposal sites, recycling yards, transportation facilities, and other types of facilities.  If your business' SIC codes are listed on Attachment A of the Industrial Storm Water General Permit, you may need to apply for an Industrial General Permit.

3. What is a SIC code?  Where can I find it?

Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes are four-digit numerical codes that are used to identify the primary business activities of an establishment.  You may look up your SIC codes here with OSHA.

To find out what your SIC codes are, you may call our Business License Department at (909) 625-9423 or look it up on your Stormwater Inspection Report.  If you do not think the SIC code assigned to your business describes your business activities, please contact us at (909) 625-9478.

4. What if all my business activities are inside the building and nothing is exposed to stormwater?

If a facility does NOT have industrial materials or conduct industrial activities outside, they may qualify for the No-Exposure Certificate (NEC) which allows for a reduction in monitoring and storm water permit requirements.


For more information, see the No-Exposure Certification (NEC) brochure English / Spanish


To apply, please go to SMARTS to obtain NEC coverage.  Click here for instructions.

5. How do I apply for the permit?

Please contact Nam Nguyen at Santa Ana Regional Water Board for assistance.  You will also need to submit your application through SMARTS.

6. I am a current holder for the IGP, do I still need to re-apply for the new permit (2014-0057-DWQ)?

Yes.  Click here to see the instruction on how to recertify for the coverage.

7. I’m applying for the permit.  What is the name of the receiving water in Montclair?

San Antonio Channel is our receiving water and it is impaired with pH.

8. Where can I find more information about this permit?

Industrial Storm Water Program

Industrial General Permit Toolbox

9. For IGP questions, please contact the Santa Ana Regional Water Board

Nam Nguyen
(951) 321-4582


For other stormwater questions, please call (909) 625-9447 or email us.

Close window