Appeal Process & Guidelines
Montclair to College Scholarship Appeal Process & Guidelines for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Who can appeal: Appeals must be submitted during the students 12th grade school year on or before March 1.
- Reasons for MTC Scholarship Appeals: There are various reasons for a student to submit an MTC appeal; however, past examples include: an inability to attend school because of a serious medical condition, a personal situation such as divorce, death or illness in your family or you may have experienced homelessness and needed to go to a different school. Reasons that are typically insufficient for an appeal to be granted are that you disagree with the grade a teacher gave you or you didn’t complete any community service.
- Appeal Submission: Students MUST submit the appeal package online by March 1, 2023. Hard copy appeal packages/documentation will not be accepted.
- Appeal Decision: The initial appeal will be reviewed by the City of Montclair Human Services Department and the student will be notified via email by April 2023.
- 22/23 Eligibility: If a student is granted reinstatement into the MTC program, an MTC application deadline will be given to the reinstated student for the 22/23 school year at the time of notification.
APPEAL PACKAGE DOCUMENTATION GUIDELINES: The following list describes the documentation in the appeal package.
- Appeal Form: All sections must be filled out completely. The email of the parent or counselor must be included- the parent or counselor will be emailed by MTC to verify their approval of the appeal submission. Only one approval is required.
- MTC Scholarship Requirements: The scholarship requirements must be met to be considered eligible for the MTC scholarship upon graduation from MHS. Students must acknowledge they understand the requirements.
- Unofficial Transcripts: Students must upload a copy of their unofficial MHS transcripts to the scholarship appeal. The unofficial transcript will be considered to be correct unless you explain and provide support for why it is not.
- Appeal Justification: When reviewing the appeal, it is important for the reviewer to have a clear understanding of why the student is appealing. The justification must be typed and must include any specific information to justify the appeal. No hard copies will be accepted.
- Supporting Documentation- OPTIONAL:
- Medical- Must include physician’s letterhead, date, contact information, explanation and signature on 1 page. Do not include any private information such as social security number, medical ID number, etc.
- Community Service Tracking Logs: Submit a copy of community service completed
- Other – The nature of the MTC scholarship appeal determines the documentation. Items students may include are proof of a loss of job, a letter from a teacher or school staff member, obituary, divorce decree, and any other documentation the student believes will support his/her scholarship appeal. The documentation, must be professional and complete.